January 3-6, 2017
The 2017 UAA Aviation Policy Seminar!
The University Aviation Association is offering students the opportunity to meet with and network with aviation industry leaders and members of Congress during the 2017 UAA Aviation Policy Seminar for Students, taking place the first week in January in Washington, DC.
- Students and faculty facilitators will spend the week traveling around the nation’s capital to visit the leaders of industry associations, the NTSB, the FAA, and Congressional staff.
- Students will be able to network with others from across the country and gain valuable exposure to leaders in these organizations.
- Students will have the opportunity to gain a better understanding of how these leaders interact in establishing aviation policy and what job opportunities may be available in the aviation industry.
- Faculty and students will gain valuable insight into how they can participate in the process now and in the future.
UAA encourages all faculty members to share this information with their students. Any questions can be directed to email@example.com.
Conference registration is a $300 non-refundable fee. Register online before December 16th, 2016. Hotel reservations discount ends December 12.
Tentative Event Schedule (subject to change)
- Tuesday, Jan. 3 (starts at 5:00 p.m.) - Registration, Program Overview, Keynote Speaker, and Team Meeting
- Wednesday, Jan. 4 – FAA/DOT briefings, Aviation Subcommittee, GAO, Team Meeting
- Thursday, Jan. 5 - Industry Association Visit, Team Meeting
- Friday, Jan. 6 – NTSB Visit and Tour, Industry Association Visits, Culminating Session
The host hotel is the Holiday Inn-Capitol (550 C Street, SW, Washington, DC 20024). The hotel is located one block from the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum, and one block from the L’Enfant Plaza Metro station.
Registration and most of the first day’s activities will take place at the hotel. The rest of the seminar takes place at locations all around Washington, D.C., including board rooms of industry associations such as NBAA. Students will use the Metro subway system to travel in groups to and from meetings.
Transportation from the Airport
From Washington National Airport (DCA) to the hotel:
Follow the signs in the airport to the Metro station. Take the Metro Yellow line train to the L’Enfant Plaza Metro stop. Yellow line trains depart every 12 minutes from DCA. The hotel is .1 miles northwest of the Metro stop. Travel time from the airport to the hotel takes approximately 20 minutes.
From Washington Dulles Airport (IAD) to the hotel:
Super Shuttle offers shared ride van service for $29 per-person/one-way. Book this online ahead of time and plan for approximately one hour travel time to the hotel.
From Baltimore/Washington International Airport (BWI) to the hotel:
Board the free shuttle to BWI/Amtrak/MARC Station departing every 12 minutes between door numbers 1 & 2, 8 & 9, 14 & 15, and 17 & 18. Purchase a ticket on the MARC Penn line to Union Station departing hourly for $12-$16 per person/one-way. Tickets can be purchased online in advance at Amtrak.com. From Union Station, take the Metro Yellow line train to L’Enfant Plaza Metro stop. The hotel is .1 miles northwest of the Metro stop. Travel time from the airport to the hotel takes approximately 20 minutes.
Business attire is required for the Tuesday through Friday sessions. Business attire for this purpose includes dress slacks, collared button-down shirt, and tie for men. The women’s equivalent includes a knee-length skirt or dress slacks; and a blouse, sweater, and/or jacket. Attire for Monday’s session includes jeans or khakis, and a polo or school attire.
The following presentation will help students prepare for the Seminar activities.